Thursday, September 27, 2007

say something say something say something by via audio

With only a few exceptions, 2007 has been full of albums that have been better than I thought they’d be. Even, dare I say, a lot better. Whether this is because the albums have been exceptional or because I’m prone to underestimation has yet to be determined.

Via Audio’s self-titled EP was pleasant enough, but though it floats and shimmers, it never really grabs. At least not me. I procrastinated, therefore, in downloading the full-length album. Sad and neglected, it sat in the "save for later" folder of my emusic account until last night, when I realized I needed to download something, and this was the most promising candidate.

Preliminary evaluation: it’s pretty great. I generally don’t trust myself to pass definitive judgment on an album until I’ve listened to it upwards of ten times -- the test here being whether I still want to listen to it after that -- but I’m making an exception in this case because I’m so pleasantly surprised.

The instrumentation is much more varied than on the EP. The result is a much wider scope of textures, and a much wider range for satisfaction. "Enunciation," in particular, is all over the place, in the best way. The alternating male-female vocals are also pleasing. Towards the end of listen number three, during "From Clouds," I realized that I was being forcibly reminded of Stars (whose most recent album, incidentally, was just released on CD and vinyl and you need to go buy it), but there are definitely worse things.

On the other hand, I’m not so sure about this version of "Developing Active People,"and the album still threatens blandness on songs like "Numb" and "We Can Be Good".

Listen to me pretending to know what I’m talking about.

Or rather, don't. (This should become policy.)

Have a song instead.

mp3: "Modern Day Saint" by Via Audio

No comments: