Wednesday, December 5, 2007

the dandelion council


Four years ago, if you had asked me about electronica, I would have thought of heavy nightclub trance beats and cringed. Then, two things happened: I spent a semester in France during the height of Air’s Talkie Walkie promotion, and I met my dear friend Pip Craighead, a.k.a. the Dandelion Council.

The Dandelion Council, lead by Pip and his revolving band of merry sidekicks, draws inspiration from the hills of Altadena; so much in fact, early drafts of the band's mission statement claimed that rather than original works, they were simply covering tapes found buried deep in the hillside, circa 1970.

Despite band-fueled rumors of borrowing a page from their forebears, the Dandelion Council is nothing if not a creative, unique endeavor. Electronic beats are merged with ethereal human voices, the laughter of children, and sampling from nature. Nature is a huge theme: inspiration is taken from summer nights, fields of grass rippling in the wind, the smell of wet earth, lens flares, sunsets, cricket songs, fireflies, and the friendships that share in them, all ultimately pointing back to the glory of their creator.




Be sure to catch the Dandelion Council live:

December 8 2007 at 7th Annual Holy Chaos Music Festival
3700 E Sierra Madre Blvd,
Pasadena, California 91107
Cost: $5


Tell 'em the Would-Be Hipsters sent you.


As for me? I guess I can say I like electronica. Trance on the other hand? Not so much…


mp3: "In The Rainbow Forest" by The Dandelion Council
mp3: "Red Sunset" by The Dandelion Council

2 comments:

Suesjoy said...

Ooh I'll have to give Pip's band a listen.
I am not a HUGE electonica junkie, I have to be in the mood.

Glad you are being so prolific! Can't wait to read your stuff!

I have a job interview tomorrow! It's for an after school program at a place near my apt. I'll teach reading and writing to - middle schoolers (I think).
YIKES.
See how positive I am? I didn't even say IF I get the job!
I have a feeling I will.
It's just 2 days a week.
Perfect.
The director and his wife own a publishing company - and he said there may be long term opportunities there for me. Yeah- maybe!
Maybe for YOU!!!
You'll be huge in....Taipei!

Have you heard of Lulu.com?
Go check it out if you haven't!

Can I be your editor (along w/Michelle?).


:)

Toodles!

Lots of love,
Suexxxx

Anonymous said...

Pip's music and film are well blended together in a peaceful and uplifting way.