Saturday, January 26, 2008

australia day

Happy Australia Day!1

I admit that I am in no way Australian. I had to wikipedia "Australia Day" to figure out that it's kind of like our Fourth of July, only with citizenship awards and the Big Day Out festival and Triple J's Hottest 100. I used to listen to Triple J's Breakfast Show back when Adam and Wil hosted, and Tripod would do their song-in-an-hour schtick2, so I'm going to pretend that I'm qualified to make a totally unqualified post of totally awesome Aussie music.

Foregoing some of the obvious (AC/DC, Crowded House, the Vines, the Living End, Ben Lee, etc.), here's a small but varied sampling of why Melbourne is on my list of cities to move to when Los Angeles succeeds in breaking my spirit:

mp3: "You Sound Like Louis Burdett" by the Whitlams
mp3: "Good Mornin'" by You Am I (from Rove Live)
mp3: "The Owls Go" by Architecture in Helsinki (live on Triple J)
mp3: "Nosebleed Section" by the Hilltop Hoods
mp3: "Goodbye Little Alarm Clock" by Tripod (one of the aforementioned song-in-an-hour masterpieces)

And, because I've been on quite a Tripod kick lately, geeky video!



1. Australia Day is January 28. It's January 28 in Australia, even if it's January 27 in California. So I'm posting this today. Because I am a geek.
2. That was about three to five years ago. So my knowledge of Australian music may not be at all current.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Australia Day is the 26th!