Wednesday, April 16, 2008

covers: part one

I love covers. In a way that is not healthy. My iTunes "covers" playlist? It's well over three gigs. I know people who don't own three gigs of music, let alone covers. I once downloaded Hanson covering Christina Aguleira's "Dirrty". I don't like Hanson, and I don't like "Dirrty", but my love of the absurd meant it must be mine. And there it is, between Eddie Vedder doing Pete Townsend's "Let My Love Open the Door" and Hugh Laurie doing Cab Calloway's "Minnie the Moocher." If there's a 12-step program someone can direct me to, I'd appreciate it.

With that being said, here is part one in a (potentially endless) series of covers posts. We start out with the fairly straightforward covers, to ease you in. These are amazing artists putting their own spin on songs that we all know and love. Some of them, like Beck's cover of Nick Drake's "Parasite", are wonderful interpretations of amazing songs. Some of them, like Matt Pryor of the New Ams covering Outkast's "Hey Ya", are a bit more surprising and vaguely silly, and thus utterly brilliant. And am I the only one who thinks of Sesame Street whenever I hear "You Really Got a Hold on Me"?

mp3: "All Apologies" – originally by Nirvana, covered by Ben Gibbard
mp3: "Parasite" – originally by Nick Drake, covered by Beck
mp3: "Feel Good Inc." – originally by the Gorillaz, covered by the Editors
mp3: "Never Tear Us Apart" – originally by INXS, covered by the Get Up Kids
mp3: "Such Great Heights" – originally by the Postal Service, covered by Ben Folds
mp3: "You Really Got a Hold on Me" – originally by Smokey Robinson, covered by She and Him
mp3: "Hey Ya" – originally by Outkast, covered by the New Amsterdams

No comments: