Saturday, June 28, 2008

hercules and love affair by hercules and love affair

Admittedly, there's not much left to say about Brooklyn-based blogger-darling Hercules and Love Affair. Released as an overpriced import before seeing its debut on home turf (don't get me started), it's become ubiquitous among the real hipsters...now that it's trickled down to us, the backlash has probably begun. This is the segue to a completely non-related rant about imports vs. domestic releases, a rant that I'll spare you (yet again) other than to ask why, in a globally networked world where I can buy this, must I wait forever for my favorite foreign (or in the case of HaLA, local) band to decide how and if they want to release their work in my country?

I digress.

Let's start with the given: Hercules and Love Affair is good. I always feel a bit cheesetastic when attempting to write about electronica, but the beats and even the actually cheesy "classical synth sounds" that permeate the album make me run faster at the gym, thus leading me to assume that if I were ever to stumble my way into an actual dance club, I'd end up in the corner doing jumping jacks and push ups for the majority of the evening. Again, this is a good album. However, this may not be all mastermind Andrew Butler's doing -- which, for the record, has its own glitchy, repetitive charm.

Although blessed with surprisingly seamless musical transitions, what really stands out and are ultimately the tracks I find myself returning to are those headed by Antony and the Johnsons front man Antony Hegarty. Heartbreaking with his own band, here Antony's over-sized androgynous voice brings a dose of painful reality, a reminder that sooner or later the house lights will have to come up, delivered in a tone not unlike a less creepy Klaus Nomi1. This man's musical sincerity could sell ice to an Eskimo, or in my case, heartbreak to a girl already strapped with emotional baggage. It is his contributions that elevate Hercules and Love Affair from a straightforward tribute to a bygone white polyester-suited era to a glimpse into the life of those who inhabited it.

1. I could never get around the face paint...it's a clown thing.

mp3: "Hercules Theme" by Hercules and Love Affair

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can read my story about Klaus Nomi here...

http://www.geocities.com/kahniverous/klausnomi.html

All the best,

Madeline

LMS said...

Thank you for sharing that. I feel like I've gained a fresh appreciation.

Anonymous said...

Also - is it true that even after setting the iphone to manual manage content, you can only add media from ONE itunes library?



________________
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone 3g[/url]