Wednesday, November 5, 2008

better late than never

Here are four shows I attended this year that did not get reviewed due to the fact that I am a slacker. Hooray!


wolf parade @ the henry fonda (july 19)

I learned a very valuable lesson at this show. And that lesson is that clinging to the rail in the front row of the pit is not only advantageous to the purpose of close-range admiration of musicianship -- it can, in fact, save your life should the crowd around you collectively lose its mind and try to swallow you whole. Oh yes. But here's the good news: Wolf Parade is awesome, and during the moments when I wasn't trying to deflect death with only my elbows, I got to watch/listen to them play all nine songs on At Mount Zoomer, one of my favorite albums this year, and most of the really important songs from 2005’s Apologies to the Queen Mary. All in all, worth it. I think.

mp3: "I’ll Believe in Anything" by Wolf Parade


sunset junction festival (august 23)

A two-day event, the would-be hipsters had only resolve enough to brave the parking situation once, on Saturday. After spending some time wandering around and taking in the sights and inevitable smells, we wandered back to the main stage in time to see a few bands, but mostly I was there to see Menomena effectively open for Broken Social Scene. There was nothing at all disappointing about this spectacle. I'd seen Menomena live once before and already knew I loved them, but it wasn’t until this night that I think I fully appreciated why Broken Social Scene command such widespread awe.

mp3: "Evil Bee" by Menomena
mp3: "7/4 (Shoreline)" by Broken Social Scene


sunset rubdown @ the black cat (washington d.c. – september 19)

There are so many reasons why this is the best show in the history of ever that I don't even know where to start. For one thing, I was on the other side of the country with the only two other people on the planet who love this band as much as I do. For another, they played seven new songs, and every single one of them blew my mind. And here is where this review dissolves from humorously subjective to completely undignified: No band who makes albums like they do should be allowed to be so amazing live. It shouldn't work. But it absolutely does. Spencer Krug is god.

mp3: "Black Swan (Live)" by Sunset Rubdown


the mountain goats @ the troubadour (october 25)

I like, but do not love, the Mountain Goats. This is probably because I am not a lyrics person. And yet, a couple Saturdays ago, there I was, seeing them for the second time this year. What can I say? They have charisma. The band takes the stage literally dancing, John Darnielle never stops grinning, the rhythm section is made of win, and those lyrics do make for some gloriously absurd sing-alongs. I can think of far worse ways for a geek to spend a Saturday night.

mp3: "Autoclave" by the Mountain Goats

1 comment:

cev said...

I was going to be disappointed if you didn't mention at some point that Spencer Krug is, in fact, god. But there it is. So now I can just bask in the unending glory of that show.