Monday, December 1, 2008

christmas in non-sequitur land

Normally in Would-Be Hipster land, a single track really doesn't warrant an entire review. But today...today, my friends, I am feeling the spirit of Christmas. Surely it's not the weather. Surely it's not due to the one year birthday party America seems to be throwing for the economic crisis (although, upon further reflection, it could be the $1.89/gallon gas sparking my jovial state). Surely it's not the residual traffic from the Hollywood Christmas parade street closures. All I know is, this morning, regardless of all extenuating circumstances, I woke wanting to bake cookies and do off key-renditions of "Oh Holy Night" until I'm blue in the face. But, as I'm both an abysmal cook and musician, a bag of Pepperidge Farms cookies and a mumbled Sufjan Stevens sing along had to suffice.

This is, of course, all to say that by the time I got around to checking my e-mail, my spirits were high and my resistance was low. Sofia Talvik is feeling the spirit too. Hopping on the good-music-for-a-good-cause-train, her new single "A Carol for the Lonely" is free. All she asks is that you pass along the good fortune and donate the money you would have spent to your favorite cause. Sofia suggests Sweden-based Standsmission. Naturally, I'd like to throw in a vote for Midnight Mission. Why not split the geographical difference and drop a dollar in a hat near you?

mp3: "A Carol for the Lonely" by Sofia Talvik

Varation-on-a-geographical-theme-bonus: Swedesplease has released their annual Swedish Christmas mix.

2 comments:

*daisy said...

hrm... the link for the song mp3 seems to go to another one instead? (forget about the politics?)

LMS said...

Thanks for the heads up. It's been fixed and I feel properly shamed. ha. Enjoy