Monday, April 13, 2009

mythomania by cryptacize

If there's one thing I've come to grips with, it's that as I get older, life is not going to slow down. Ever. The treadmill is stuck on high. Lately, I've found myself resorting to the culinary crime against humanity of microwaving tea -- and finding myself trying to "hurry" it along. On bad days, the music of my mind isn't a Benny Hill soundtrack -- it's an experimental noise-rock trio. Emphasis on "experimental." All this to say, Mythomania (out April 21st) the new album from Asthmatic Kitty's Cryptacize, is unnerving. But not for the reasons you'd expect.

Embodying a languorous, yet bouncy charm, not unlike contemporaries Beach House or Ariel Pink, Mythomania is an appealing throwback to a simpler place and time; what you'd expect from a band that brags about recording in a cabin outside of Yosemite. Lead by the haunting innocent-voiced echo of vocalist Nedelle Torris, and ex-Deerhoof member Chris Cohen, their sound is folky, unnervingly sparse, and a bit sweet. Never once does their reach extend their grasp, thus making the exercise in restraint -- from the poppy "Mythomania" to the slow building "Gotta Get Into That Feeling" -- an understated success. They've taken the label "experimental" from a terrible description of the static in my head to a place of wonder, evoking faded, lens flare-filled images of the past. I, for one, am more than happy to knock back my ill-brewed tea, ignore my boss's e-mails, and join their musical daydream.

mp3: "Blue Tears" by Cryptacize

No comments: