Saturday, June 20, 2009

emily wells @ hotel cafe

What is there left to write about Emily Wells? No really. Check out previous, superlative-filled, geeky rants. She knows a catchy lick. She's got a rapper's style with interesting, introspective lyrics. And then live she reminds you -- oh yea, she can play the violin like no one's business.

You see, now it's just getting embarrassing.

Last night's show at Hotel Cafe served as a release party for Wells' new EP Dirty. In addition to ripping though several of the "Symphonies" from her previous full-length ("Symphony 1 In the Barrel of a Gun" sounded particularly inspiring live), and the EP (including "Juicy", an impressive showcase of Wells' rapping skills), the audience was treated to what Wells described as "why did you leave that off the album" song, "Passenger." A catchy blend of a symphony and pop song, I'll add my voice to the inquiry -- no really Emily, why did you leave that off the album? Can we have it as a single? Pretty please?1

Wells sent her audience off into the summer night a mere forty-five minutes later (darn Hotel Cafe booking!) with the breezy, seasonally appropriate, ukulele tune "Take it Easy San Francisco." We may not be San Francisco, but after a cool show like that and a weekend ahead of us, I'm sure LA was more than willing to heed the advice.

1. At this point, the woman next to me started freaking out, telling her friend, "She's got no bad notes! I can't handle it! I don't know what to do with myself!" And all this time I thought I was the queen of rants.

mp3: "Symphony 6: Fair Thee Well & The Requiem Mix (live at KCRW)" by Emily Wells

No comments: