Friday, August 7, 2009

the soft skin by brown recluse

I'm not the kind of girl who is scared of spiders. Yet, I have to admit that Brown Recluse's questionable name almost kept me from giving them a spin. What can I say...I also like books with pretty covers.

Getting past the creepy crawlies, Brown Recluse's debut EP The Soft Skin (out September 8th on Slumberland) is one of those debuts where you can almost feel the well-deserved accolades brewing. Less twee than Belle and Sebastian and more accessible than Jens Lekman--with a little Os Mutantes thrown in for good measure, this is the sort of all-around agreeable music we've been waiting for. Between the poppy keyboards and light dusting of horns, it's simple, it's direct, and darn it...it works! Who needs weird musical genre hybrids when you've got pop? Sweet sweet pop.

I'm going to buy a copy for my mother. I'm going to fob a copy off on my judgmental brother. I'm going bug the crap out of my friends by singing the catchy refrain to "Night Train" inappropriate moments.

Just try and stop me.

mp3: "Contour and Context" by Brown Recluse

No comments: